Today you are 4 years old. I know this is said over and over again, but where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday this first photo was taken of us.
It has been a privilege to be your mommy. Even on the days when we are both tired and irritated with each other, I am so thankful that God chose me to care for you on this earth. I love you, tootsie girl.
On your 4th birthday I have four pieces of advice I want to share with you. You may not understand and appreciate them now, but I know one day you will.
#1 Be a Good Friend
Don't worry about looking cool or fitting in, which are both self-focused. It's much harder to have meaningful friendships when you are focused on yourself and what others can do for you. People will hurt your feelings. They will not understand your circumstances. They will make you mad and they will take you for granted. It's not on purpose. Be a good friend anyway. Reach out and love. If you are hurt by someone it has much more to do with them than it does with you. "Owe nothing to anyone - except for your obligation to love one another. If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill the requirement of God's Law." Rom. 13:8
#2 Treasure Your Grandparents
The relationship between grandparent and grandchild is incredibly special. You have two sets of grandparents that love you and treasure you and would give you the world on a string if they could. Treasure them also, sweet girl. Ask them about their childhood. Ask for their advice. Help them. Serve them. And when the time comes, care for them. Grandparents are one of the greatest sources of wisdom and love that God has blessed us with. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt. 6:21
#3 Work Hard and Like it
Give your all. Go the extra mile. Be helpful, even when it hurts. Learn the value of sacrifice. Giving of your time and talent is often more needed than the giving of your money. Don't work merely for a paycheck or praise, work to make a difference and do it with a good attitude. The world may seem huge to you now, but you'll soon learn that we're all in this together and you can make a difference. None of this will happen without hard work, and none of it will mean anything if your heart is in the wrong place. Keep a spirit of humility and complete each task as if God personally asked you to do it. "... let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matt. 5:16
#4 Love God
Sweet Ambrie, being your mommy is one of my favorite things I've gotten to do in this life. I look forward to the future and growing together as we walk through different stages of life. You are my favorite kid ever and I love you to the moon and back. Happy Birthday!
Love Always,
Mommy


No comments:
Post a Comment