Running is kind of a thing right now. Have you noticed? Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel just a little bit guilty as I log on to Facebook while eating ice cream only to see about half of my friends posting pictures with a race number pinned to their shirt and a huge smile plastered across their face. My attitude about this at first was "whatever" and "how annoying". I thought of the usual excuses to make myself feel better about not getting off my butt to run (or even to exercise for that matter). I am too tired, I am too busy, I work full time and have a kid, I am too fat... you get the point.
In reality, a still small voice in the back of my head has been saying, "Kara, you can do that too". I ignored that voice pretty intensely. Until it got louder, and louder and LOUDER, until finally this past weekend I learned that it was true.
On Saturday I participated in my first 5k run/walk. I signed up as a walker along with my sister-in-law because I thought it was something we could do together to bring us closer and deepen our relationship. I signed up back in June, so I've known for a while this day would be here. I was committed to only walking because, again, there were all the excuses that were so conveniently available for me to use. But here's what happened:
While yes, I mainly walked, the walking was just that: walking. It was enjoyable and refreshing and I felt like I was just taking a walk around the block with my sister-in-law. The part that invigorated me was the competitiveness that grew in me as we got closer to the finish line. So much so that I started to run. I ran past two groups of people and past the finish line just because I knew I could. And you know what? I didn't die!
So can I check "running" off my Year 33 list? Not quite. I need to run a WHOLE race in order to give satisfaction to that requirement. So this is me saying, I'm going to try. I'm going to make an effort to do something that's completely out of my comfort zone. I'm going to put aside the excuses and I'm going to chose to not care how much my butt and belly jiggle when I move. I'm going to invest in my future health and I'm going to allow that still small voice to become a driving force in this endeavor.
The next race I will sign up for is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on September 28. I will RUN this race. I can't believe I'm saying that.
I reaaaallllyyyy hope I don't change my mind...
YOU CAN DO IT!!! :) Alger has a 5K in October too. I'm trying to motivate Jason to do that one. If I could/can run, I seriously believe anyone can. Little steps and accountability are all it takes. I can't wait to hear about the journey! (Oh - and 3 years in, there are still days I HATE running... But its more of a mental game than anything else. Overcome the mental and your body will follow.) Love you, Friend!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the encouragement, Brandi! I ran all last week and I'll be running tomorrow. I can already tell a huge difference in how I feel. I totally get the whole "runner's high" thing now!
Delete